Monday, January 30, 2012

Ramblings of Mr Nut; Great Meat Stew

Hello loyal follower(s)

Today I am trying to minimize my walking around because of my old friend, Leg Pain.  Only twenty-one days until I will confer with Dr Ames in San Francisco about when I will have surgery.  The level of  Leg Pain was probably self induces by my activities of last week.
     Wednesday my biking buddy (Jim Kemp) and I drove to Mesquite Nevada (about 40 miles south on I 15 ) and biked about the usual 10-12 miles on very nice biking paths.  I forgot my camera, so just picture a nice path along the Virgin river with mountains in the distance.  While you are at it hold your nose and picture the path passing by the sewage treatment plant net to the river.
      Friday was a hike in a State Park called Snow Canyon, which is adjacent to St George.  The hike was short ( I guess about 1-2 miles) but across a lava flow.



This picture was taken at the midpoint  of our hike since from this point we had to return the car which was generally up hill.  Behind the group ( Cyndy, Gene and Lynell) was a steep climb which I would have climbed ten years ago, but not now.















That evening we played bridge with our Canadian friends Sharon and  Russ Aney.  Russ presented me with cup  shown at the left and guaranteed it would help me through this painful period.









Sunday we went to Mesquite so that Cyndy could win the rent money for next week. Meanwhile, I was going to walk part of the bike path and work on my computer in the park.  I was unable to walk more than 50 yards before "my friend" forced  me to stop.  Therefore, I took a nap in my car instead, and it was comfortable because I brought along a sleeping bag and foam pad.   I used to be a Boy Scout, and try to be prepared.

Back to today, I wanted to make a beef stew, but after investigating the options found that Cyndy's recipe was the best.  Therefore that is what I am making as I write.



Here are the simple ingredients (except for the celery)  This recipe lacked the odd ingredients found in some of the other recipes.












At this point the stew was placed in the oven at 275℉ for about five hours.

I also started a neat bread called Whole Wheat Rustic Italian Bread, but that will be tomorrows blog.

Stew recipe follows:

À bientôt,
Mr Nut


Five Hour Stew
From Family Fare by Susan Moore produced for the family during the1990‘s 
Modified Form of  Cyndy Martin’s recipe
Serves six to eight
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons Sea salt   
1/4 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup tapioca
1 cup water
1 cup red wine
2 pounds stew meat
6 carrots cut in 1 inch pieces (about one pound)
2 cups celery chopped
2 cups pearl onions
2 14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
4 medium. potatoes cut into bite size pieces
8 ounces of frozen peas to be added last 30 minutes of cooking
Directions:
  1. Place the blue ingredients together in large casserole or Dutch oven. Stir the ingredients to be sure they are well mixed.
  2. Add the first black ingredients and then stir the mixture.  Repeat for each black ingredient
  3. Bake covered for 5 hours or more at 275° add 1 package frozen peas to be added last 30 minutes of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment