Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cajon Sloppy Joes

Hello loyal follower(s)

   I must acknowledge my wife Cyndy for her wiliness to let me try different recipes in her, no make that our kitchen.  Yesterday, was a giant leap of faith for her, when I mentioned Cajon, she shuttered but said OK. To Cyndy, coming from Minnesota, a hot spicy food  was when you add ketchup to the dish.
   I found the Cajon Sloppy Joes good but definitely "Cajon", and so I will discuss my experience and then provide a great recipe.  The recipe called for Cajon Seasoning which one would never find in Cyndy's half of our kitchen.  You can purchase Cajon Seasoning at  major food stores, (Abertson's) at $7.50 plus tax but that was too expensive for me so I  turned to Google.   There were several recipes at allrecipes.com and comments on the recipes.  I mixed and matched and came up with my own recipe.   Then because of my diabetes I planned on open sandwiches using Basic Artisan Bread (see blog Oct 14, 2011) instead of hamburger buns.
  Anyway, Cyndy took one small taste and said her mouth burned for at least five minutes.  Therefore, I got  to eat as much as I wanted, to me it was great.  Even though the recipe was great I did not add the carbohydrate nor the calories counts because I need to find a cooler Sloppy Joe recipe that Cyndy would eat, that will be a challenge.

Recipe follows:

À bientôt,

Mr Nut


Cajun Sloppy Joes
Based on recipe for Cook's country February/March 2012 edition

Blooming the Cajun seasoning with the onions enhanced its bold flavor, while a dash of cayenne pepper added an additional layer of heat to our Cajun Sloppy Joes. A combination of tomato sauce and ketchup provided a traditional base for this untraditional variation.
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
2  tablespoons vegetable oil.
1/2 cup  onion, chopped fine.
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajon Seasoning
1/8  teaspoon cayenne (Red) pepper
1 pound 85% or higher lean ground beef.   
1 cup tomato sauce.
1/4 cup ketchup.
 Artisan bread.  

Cajon seasonings from Allrecipes.com.

Ingredients
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ground cayenne (red) pepper
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried basil  (use Mortar and Pestle to grind to a flour)
1/8 teaspoon thyme  ( use Mortar and Pestle to grind to a flour)

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add meat and cook, breaking up pieces with spoon, until just pink, about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until sauce is slightly thicker than ketchup, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment