Thursday, May 17, 2012

Basic No-Knead Bread on Stone


How to Navigate around in Mr Nut’s blogs:  At the left of the tool bar directly above the blog is an input box.
  Type in as much of  the title as you remember and then click return.    
  I have learned much since April 2010, when I declare I was going to make bread; how hard can it be?  Then during July of  2010 my son Charles suggested a blog and got me started.  After learning a little more about blogging and bread making  on March 30, 2011 I started this blog.  Since then I have learned that Dutch ovens are not necessary and some of the techniques applied in my first “bread bible” (My Bread by Jim Lahey) were outdated.  I have not tested the need for a long  fermentation yet, but I wonder about its effect  on the bread.
     Anyway, yesterday I started to make Basic No-Knead bread (see blog of February 28, 2012).  Today I got up “early 
8:45AM” (what can I say I’m retired). It was time for the second fermentation, and it was just started when I looked at our 
calendar which  indicated a Physical Therapy session (PT) in ten minutes ( it takes 20 minutes just to drive there), therefore  Cyndy had to take over on the bread. I called her from the PT office and gave her the instructions needed for the bread.

My intention was to have lots of pictures.







The dough felt good, very pliable.  Notice it did not cover the bottom of the deep pan at the start of the first fermentation. The tape measure give you  the relative size.












At the end of the first fermentation the dough covered the complete bottom of the pan and came up the side.










It was time to divide the dough into two rounds.  
The dough felt great.

















i guess wanted to show you how  I covered the loaves for the second fermentation.















You can not read the thermometer, but it was 202℉.












The crumb looked  good but it seemed too moist.  I suspect that too much water was place in the broiler pan.  Every time I opened the oven there was an expulsion of steam. 

Therefore, next time only one cup of water will be added to the broiler pan and see if it makes  a difference.

À bientôt,
Mr Nut














No comments:

Post a Comment