Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Last words on Back Surgery plus Salute to Quilters

How to Navigate around in Mr Nut’s blogs:  At the left of the tool bar directly above the blog is an input box.  Type in as much of  the name or title as you remember and then click return.


Hello loyal follower(s)

It has been four weeks and two days since my back surgery.  Two more weeks and I can resume driving, and hopefully will have more (just some) energy.  Before my comments on quilting I want to share a few photos from my stay at  the Acute Rehabilitation Unit:


Cyndy stayed in my room (her cot is in the background).  Here we were dinning at our table, I did not need the wheelchair but it was comfortable, so I used it.  All and all it was a pleasant week.









It was getting close to the day for me to go home so we walked in the streets of San Francisco for exercise. the young man in the picture was Tim my physical therapist.  We enjoyed him a lot as a person.  By our coats it is clear it was cold.
















Our adventures outside of the hospital involved  walking many hills like this one.













This church was one of our goals.   If you could walk to this, it was time to be sent home.

The week in rehab was like a weeks vacation in that I recovered within the first two days.  After that it was a matter of avoiding being kicked out for not using my walker liked they wanted.




Enough about back surgery, now on to the good stuff.






The world of Quilting.


Cyndy said she would make a "snuggling" quilt for me for when we watch TV.  But I had to help with the material selection.  It was that activity that made me realize  that quilt making was difficult.  Then there was the cutting and sewing which has to be more difficult than picking the material.

Here are four of the thirty squares required for my quilt.


Picking the "correct" piece of  material from thousands of scraps was very trying for  my impatient mind.  But it did help with the process.











This was one of the easier squares.













Yes, this was suppose to be a house in the woods.
















The number of small pieces in this square was mind boggling for me, of course I was and still am flying high on pain pills.


While we were camped out at our daughter's home Cyndy completed eighteen of the thirty squares.  I helped with the color selection with the expert eye of Cyndy.  But mostly I slept away many of he days.

I now have much appreciation of the time and effort that goes into making a quilt.

À bientôt,
Mr Nut


No comments:

Post a Comment